Friday, April 15, 2005

Lazy Lazy!

The end of each day finds us complaining about the lack of time, about all that we should have done in the course of the 24 hours that have whizzed by, without any warning. Well, it doesnt take the genius in us to finally come to the conclusion that more often than not, it is not the ways of nature to blame, but ourselves. We, gripped by the slimy fingers of laziness, a creeper so viscious that it tends to grow on you to the point of engulfing you, are reduced to a state of semi-sleep where the brain is indeed comfortably numb. Capable of feeling just a false sense of well being.

Ofcourse, there are a few of us who cultivate the habit of doing nothing by choice. I am one of them. But sometimes, something wakes up in the depths of my conciousness or subconciousness or whatever. On days like this, I transform from being one of those couched potatoes confined to the bed to today's Artemis, brimming with energy and a desire to put it to good use. It is thanks to these rare and far-spaced days that I even get by with what is expected of me as a student.

These eventful days usually come immediately after eye-opener days. I confess I am not one of those sleek women with not a single extra pound of muscle( I'd like to believe most of them are anorexic and so not healthy). But I also do not qualify as obese and all-in-all it's a very comfortable situation to be in, atleast most often. For being this way gives me the right to eat. People dont gape at the amount of carbs that I take in, in the form of delicious food that I rather have a weakness for. And well, if anyone does complain of me being fat, I could just look around and point a finger at someone who is fatter ( me being in India, where fat is genetic!) and so feel not-all-that-bad. But I am digressing....

The eye opener days begin rather well. It usually begins off as a day for shopping or a party. The cupboard is opened and long forgotten clothes are brought out for the occasion. And lo, you wonder if those clothes got bored sitting there and just decided to shrink. It's a little tight, you notice. Maybe the head gets in but the hand doesnt or vice versa. Lets suppose you do get in, well, the getting-out-of-the-dress part is an epic in itself. The epic ofcourse gets written all the same, for you see that the dress that went so well on you about 6 months back looks really bad now. Really really bad. And to think you'd been banking on it and imagined yourself in it, to the smallest accessory that would go with it. Happens when you go shopping too, for you by instinct you go to the rack that holds clothes the size you bought the last time. The rest of the story is better left unsaid.

The day after revelations such as these usually begins with the age old ' Early to rise'. Then an early morning jog, through which the only thing I think I look like is a tiny elephant trying to exercise its legs, lesser food, the chocolates removed from the post-meal plan, a game or two of some sport, loads of mental activity(it's supposed to remove the fat that's deposited in the brain), dealing with a lot of those pending things, end of day. An almost-dead me. The next day my body refuses to co-operate in continuing the plan and amidst groans from every single muscle I barely manage to get through the absolutely necessary things.

And with that ends a chapter of drive-away-laziness. But then, if I cant be completely idle now, while in college, when else will I be given such a chance?



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Sorry for your plight
but now as I think of it, I can see similar experiences
:-)

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home